Seattle IAS March Meeting - Surge Protective Devices
We will be covering surge protective devices, how they work and how they should be applied.
- Surges – Causes & Effects (Facility Damage - Cost of surge)
- Why we need more Surge protection (Cascading Protection) & How to educate end users.
- Industry Standards & Recommended Practices (When surge is required by code & Surge recommendations)
- Specifying SPDs & Application guidelines (Why spec language matters & Practical applications when & where to use surge)
- Next Generation SPD Monitoring (PQ Monitoring w/surge protection)
James England is the Western Regional Product Specialist for ASCO Power Technologies Surge Division. James’s primary function is to help educate engineers, contractors, and end users on the importance of the correct application of surge protection devices in the modern commercial/industrial electrical system.
James began his career as a power plant operator in the Navy. After completing his Navy service, James began working on NASA’s space shuttle program as an Aerospace Repair & Test Technician. During his 8 years with NASA James earned multiple awards for process & testing development while also completing his B.S. in Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Following the termination of NASA’s human space flight program in 2011 he transitioned to Thomas & Betts (ABB) where he spent 6 years as an Applications Engineer working in the utility distribution market. When he isn’t working James enjoys reading the Emerald Book (IEEE 1100), and highly recommends it for those sleepless nights.
Education & Experience
- Bachelors of Science Aeronautics - Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- IEEE Member since 2018
- (2 yrs) ASCO Power Technologies - Regional Product Specialist (Surge Protection Division)
- (6 yrs) Thomas & Betts (ABB) Outside Applications & Sales Engineer - Utility Market (Distribution Products)
- (8 yrs) NASA (United Space Alliance) Human Space Flight Program - Aerospace Technician / Process Development Engineer
- United States Navy Vertern - Aircraft Carrier Power Plant Oporations
Date and Time
- Date: 19 Mar 2019
- Time: 06:00 PM to 07:00 PM
- All times are US/Pacific
- Add Event to Calendar
- 701 Pike St
- Suite 1200
- Seattle, Washington
- United States 98101
- Building: Brown & Caldwell
- Click here for Map